I don’t understand why anyone has a problem with illegal aliens. Personally, I love bootlegged Sigourney Weaver movies. Hiring illegal immigrants, though, I can understand why that upsets some people.
The Obama administration has been cracking down on employers who hire illegal immigrants. There has been quite a lot of activity lately – most recently notifying employers in each of the 50 states that they would have to turn in I-9 employment-eligibility forms to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
They have been focusing on companies that work in food production, information technology, financial services, and construction.
Here are the numbers:
- Fines for hiring illegal immigrants have reached $7.1 million – only ¾ into the fiscal year (which began October 1st, 2010).
- Last year, fines reached only $6.9 million for the entire fiscal year.
- 2,338 companies have been audited by ICE thus far (again, only ¾ into the fiscal year).
- 2,196 companies were audited during the entire previous fiscal year.
- Last week, 1,000 companies were notified that they will be subjected to ICE inspections.
Employers in all 50 states have been sent notices, but the names of the businesses have not been released.
To read more about the Obama administration’s crackdown on hiring illegal immigrants, click here.